Tales of a Toddler

Tales of a Toddler
Take a Walk With Me and My Toddler

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Another Memorable Sunday



Today was the beginning of our revival at church. After our regular Sunday morning service we had "dinner on the grounds" which preceded an afternoon service introducing our guest preacher for the week. With no fellowship hall and the belief that food should not be eaten in the church building, we fearlessly ate outside (in excruciating heat). Words cannot describe how hot it was and after eating ten types of fat-dripping dishes I was convinced that I would not survive. My son ripped and roared in the church yard until he nearly passed out. Wet with sweat he decided to cool himself by pouring water over his head (numerous times). It was a good idea and I guess I should have been proud of his inventiveness but his attire wasn't very appealing for the upcoming service. Wet child in hand and covered in sweat myself we reentered the church for our second sermon of the day. From past experience, I brought reinforcements to keep my baby busy to avoid total disruption. Today's church activity was a set of flashcards that we had been reviewing at home. Of course, at home my toddler showed no interest in them at all. In church, however, he suddenly recognized the contents and began to talk to the cards. The one thing that you do not do is SHHHH my son in church. For some reason he goes ballistic and cries uncontrollably when this happens. He became so loud with the cards that my father broke the rule and said SHHHHH. As predicted he screamed out and cried uncontrollably for what seemed like forever. Finally, he calmed down and refocused on talking to his flashcards. At this point during the service we were all singing so the talking transitioned into singing. The singing was so loud and awkward that everyone sitting on our row began to chuckle. In an attempt to regain my composure I looked at the preacher (expecting a serious expression or discontentment of some kind). He was laughing himself and doing everything within his power to keep a straight face which made me laugh harder. Finally, the child sung himself to sleep and lay sprawled out on the pew for the remaining of the service. What a relief!

Today's festivities (even with the antics) were memorable moments that regretfully will disappear with modernization. I distinctly remember gathering at the church for an outside lunch to celebrate the beginning of our summer revival. Everyone brought covered dishes and we always ate outside on the same rickety tables we used toady. The kids, including myself, occupied their time by running and rolling down a nearby hill. Watching my son do these same things will always hold a special place in my heart and mind (even though I was better behaved).

No comments:

Post a Comment